flash problems with Fedora 11 23-bit

Hugh Caley hughc at aldon.com
Tue Jul 28 19:30:52 UTC 2009

So, solved about half my problems with Flash by adding an old CMedia
audio card

> Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)

  and not using the built-in SiS audio controller:

> Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97
> Sound Controller (rev a0)

Completely fixes my stuttering audio problem and now I can play videos
using the flash plugin, at least for a while.

Now, usually, an embedded youtube video will play just after I restart
the browser.  The main problem is that, after a while, firefox will peg
my cpu even if no video is playing, and sometimes the videos will play
only (and poorly) while I'm wiggling the mouse on top of them.

I am using the proprietary driver for my nvidia 6200 card.

Any ideas of other things to try?  I currently have "Desktop Effects"
(Compiz) turned on, but turning it off makes little difference.  I'm
using Firefox 3.5, but 3.0 seems about the same in terms of Flash problems.

Hugh

--
Hugh Caley, Linux Administrator
Aldon Computer Group