Why is my load ave so high now? [Now I know why!]

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Jul 28 20:52:43 UTC 2009

On 07/28/2009 02:00 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> So, I guess my question is what's broken with NFS between my F11 laptop
>> and the F10 server????
>
> I could see where "ls c:" might be interpreted by the system as trying
> to find an NFS machine called "c".  An NFS mount command is:
>
>     mount -t nfs server:/sharename /mountpoint
>
> Perhaps F11 is trying to invoke an automount of an NFS share from server
> "c" to satisfy your "ls" command.  That'd be wild!
>
> I haven't tried this.  perhaps you've found a very subtle bug in F11's
> NFS client implementation.  Could you run a wireshark or tcpdump and
> watch for NFS traffic when you do that "ls c:" command?  If you do,
> then I'd file a bugzilla PDQ (pretty damned quick).

Well, since my cwd at the time is /net/kjc386, I fully expect "ls c:" to
generate NFS traffic, because (through the autofs stuff) its trying to
access "kjc386:/c:" which is one of the exported directories from the
server kjc386.  Did I misinterpret what you were trying to say?

I know what you are trying to say, and this naming convention that I
have been using for years now, has only tripped up emacs's readdir stuff
in the past, never ls.  I suppose I could try changing the directories
mount point from "c:" to "c" and see if that helps....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net