grub: splash screen resolution

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 23:03:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Konstantin Svist<fry.kun at gmail.com> wrote:
> Kam Leo wrote:
>> Try appending a "vga=341" to the kernel stanza of grub. Get other
>> supported vga values by entering "vga=ask".

Oops, the values should be preceded by "0x", i.e. "vga=0x341" since
the values are hexadecimal.

> That's for kernel resolution, which is applied right after grub.
> François is talking about grub itself, however.
>
> I don't think it's possible to change grub's resolution but if there's a
> way, I'd like to know too.

GRUB has no splash screen. If I am not mistaken, François is referring
to the splash screen created by rhgb (red hat graphical boot). The
"vga=" kernel parameter controls the screen resolution during boot and
up through the presentation of the login screen.