Problems after a yum upgrade from F10 to F11

Lars Bjørndal lars.bjorndal at broadpark.no
Wed Jul 29 12:56:19 UTC 2009

Hope someone can help me with the following two issues. I've used
yum to upgrade from Fedora 10 to Fedora 11.

The computer is an Lenove X61S laptop. Output from 'uname -rv' is:
'2.6.29.6-213.fc11.i686.PAE #1 SMP Tue Jul 7 20:59:29 EDT 2009'.

1. Text mode

I prefere to use the console, e.g. text only mode, and so I've set the
system to start up in runlevel 3. Output from 'runlevel' is 'N 3'.

The problem is that I get 48 lines and many more columns than the
usual 80 (don't remember exactly how many).

In /etc/grub.conf, I have added the vga=normal paramtere, as follows:

title Fedora (2.6.29.6-213.fc11.i686.PAE)
        root (hd0,2)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.29.6-213.fc11.i686.PAE ro
        root=/dev/vg/root0
        initrd /initrd-2.6.29.6-213.fc11.i686.PAE.img vga=normal

In the /var/log/messages, I see a line like this:

Jul 29 12:45:03 lapx kernel: Console: colour VGA+ 80x25

Even thoug, after logging in on the console, I have too many lines and
columns. Also, I can see that the environment variables LINES and
COLUMNS are set to the amount of lines/columns that are displayed.

What has changed from Fedora 10 to Fedora 11, that could cause this
behaviour, and what can I do to fix it?

2. The wireless network will not start at boot time

The wpa_supplicant service is activated, and also the network sercice.
NetworkManager however, is disabled. The
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 looks like this:

# Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN Network Connection
DEVICE=wlan0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:1f:3b:ad:eb:13
PEERDNS=yes
ONBOOT=yes

Anyway, the computer hangs for a long time while looking for IP
information for wlan0, and the process ends with som unsuccess on ping
to the dhcp's IP address. Doing 'ifup wlan0' after logging in, works.

Also this issue occured after upgrading the system. What can I do to
fix this problem?

Regards,
Lars