Dialup from a fedora machine

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Wed Jul 29 23:16:00 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I am having a bit of an emergency.  I just lost
my regular medium speed internet connection and
am going to need to use dialup until I can buy
some replacement equipment.

So I am trying to setup ppp/dialup (anyone remember
that? :-) on my Fedora 11 machine (something I did
years ago in FC4 days).  I have a USR-5610B modem
in a pci slot.  But Fedora seems not to notice it --
when I reboot Anaconda fails to notice any new device
and I see no /dev/modem.

Not sure what to check.  I think the modem is ok as
I have two of them and the same problem with both.
AFAIK, the modem is real modem, not one of those
Win-modem things.

Is there anything special I need to do to make Fedora
aware of this thing?