Dialup from a fedora machine

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Jul 30 00:01:33 UTC 2009

Stuart McGraw writes:

> NetworkManager too wants a device to talk to, with /dev/modem
> being the default but since there is no such device (nor anything
> I see that looks like it would be an emulated serial device that
> talks to the pci modem card), I wasn't able to do much with that.

If, as you say, it's a real modem, it should show up as an ordinary serial
device, which would be /dev/ttyS<n>. Standard serial port devices are
/dev/ttyS0 through /dev/ttyS3. Any PCI cards that add additional serial
devices would probably come up as /dev/ttyS4, and so on.

Also, check the kernel boot messages, with dmesg, for any reference to your
modem card.