From the top... how do I get sound working in F11 ?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 10:35:47 UTC 2009

On Thursday 30 July 2009 10:20:57 Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 19:39:25 -0700, stan wrote:
> > I'm probably not the person to be defending pulse, because I leave it
> > installed but disabled.
>
> Is there a bullet-proof way to do that? Disabling PulseAudio is a FAQ for
> Fedora, openSUSE, and Ubuntu, too. The suggested "setting autospawn = no
> in /etc/pulse/client.conf" plus running "pulseaudio -k" plus "configuring
> audio players to use alsa drivers" doesn't work for all users. Last time I
> tried it myself, I got socket errors and no audio. I had to run "yum -y
> remove pulseaudio" as a work-around to actually remove several deps, too.

How about starting pasuspender in a clever way somewhere in, say, .login? It
would need some dummy never-ending process as a mandatory argument, but I'm
sure that can be figured out easily.

man pasuspender

I mean, if you are determined to hack your system to not use pa for sound, the
cleanest way would be to use the "off switch" provided by the pa itself, right?

However, I believe you still need to manually configure audio players to use
alsa drivers.

HTH, :-)
Marko