Fedora 11 does display suspend work for you: CRT vs. LCD

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Fri Jul 31 01:05:12 UTC 2009

On 09-07-30 20:15:25, stan wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:02:46 -0400
> Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fedora 11, does your display suspend after the screensaver
> > activates (assuming that you have asked it to suspend)?>
>
> F11, x86_64, crt, gnome, nouveau.  I didn't do anything to set it
> except change how long it waits before going dormant.  Seems to
> happen simultaneously, screen goes blank (my selection), and the
> power save comes on.
>
> When it restarts I have to wait 5 or 10 seconds while it warms up
> again, before there is video.  i.e. it is really going low
> power.

That pretty well proves that it can work on a CRT.  Thank you.

If you feel up to it, could you kill your running gnome-power-manager
and start a new one in a terminal with `gnome-power-manager --verbose`,
and let the display sleep and wake up, and send the output directly to
me?  (Kill the new G-P-M with Ctl-C.  Something started a new one for
me, possibly switching users, but it might be better to start it
yourself with `gnome-power-manager &'.)  Note that there's some risk in
all this, that you might lose control of your display.  The output
might show me what is different about our systems, from G-P-M's point
of view.

I wonder if it's a ATI Radeon or ASUS MB issue.  Both are old.