Fedora 11 installation on Thinkpad X31- Unstable tsc

Justin P. Mattock justinmattock at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 14:13:20 UTC 2009

Nguyen Duy Phuong wrote:
> Hi, I am a newbie to Linux. Have tried F11 hard disk based
> installation unsuccessfully on my X31 for the 5th day. After choosing
> grub at boot (Windows XP is still functional) the insatallation hangs at
> firewire_core: created device fw0...
> clocksource tsc unstable (delta=-255137765 ns)
> Have tried to add to the kernel line in menu.lst either
> "highres=off ohz=off irqpoll", or "clocksource=hpet",
> "clocksource=acpi_pm", or "clocksource=jiffies", or "acpi=off", etc.
> to no avail. vmlinuz0, init.
> I wonder if you can please help. Cheers.

Fresh install, or a fresh install with a vanilla kernel?
make sure ext4 is compiled in the kernel
(just sat for a few yours wondering why my system wasn't
booting!! ended up being just as simple as that)

If  you have not done anything to the internals then it could be the arch
of the cd, or maybe the livecd itself has no support for your machine
i.g. I'm noticing my imac with the 130 graphics card results in a black
screen
(cant even install fedora on that machne!!)

Justin P. Mattock