Comments from a new user: what is Distrowatch complaining about?

gilpel at altern.org gilpel at altern.org
Wed Jul 1 21:37:56 UTC 2009

> On Wed, 1 Jul 2009, Scott Beamer wrote:

>   all i would add to that is to install "flashblock".  without that,
> firefox for me was astonishingly slow.  after flashblock, sweetness.

Another way to accelerate an old system by taking it easy on memory and
cpu ressources, is to install XFCE. That's what I was using on my old
system with Mandriva.

It is quick, easy to configure, non-buggy and it works like you expect a
Unix/Linux desktop environment to work.

Sweet, sweet, sweet! Really sweet! It came a long way in the last years. I
might very well revert to it even with my new system.