Preupgrade still not working

stan gryt2 at q.com
Wed Jul 1 20:31:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 20:07:48 +0100
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> stan wrote:
>
> >> I'm puzzled by this comment, which seems to have closed
> >>
> >>  Bug 508439 -  preupgrade has "Failed to fetch release info."
> >>
> >> ----------------------------------
> >> This capture shows that preupgrade tries to get the url
> >> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/releases.txt
> >> and fails with a error from the remote server.
> >> ----------------------------------
>
> >> I still don't find the above file releases.txt .
> >> Does anyone?
>
> > I plunked that link into ff and immediately brought up the file.
> > It is relatively short so I pasted it below.
>
> Thanks for the file.
> I'm not sure how I can use it, since the problem seems to be
> that preupgrade searches for it, and does not find it in my case.

You could cut and paste it from the email into a text file called
releases.txt.  Save the file and move it into /var/cache/yum
directory.  *Perhaps* preupgrade will find it there.

> I'm really baffled by this.
> I enter "http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/releases.txt"
> in Firefox, and I get the response
> "Sorry! We couldn't find that file".

Either this is a bug somewhere in the chain between you and fedora or
you have some kind of filtering activaed.  What happens if you try wget
or curl to get the file?  Or galeon or seamonkey or konqueror?

> I can access <http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/> without problem.

Just like Frank, that site redirects me to /publiclist.