Kernel - PAE vs. non-PAE

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Jul 2 22:51:33 UTC 2009

Steven F. LeBrun wrote:
> When I installed F11 on my Toshiba laptop, it installed the PAE version
> of the kernel.  I am assuming that my laptop has a CPU with Physical
> Address Extensions functionality and can therefore address up to 64GB of
> memory.
>
> My laptop only has 3 GB installed.  Can anyone explain the pro's and
> con's of using the PAE version of Linux kernel instead of the non-PAE
> version?

The real reason to use PAE is to get the security benefit of the NX feature.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

> Would the PAE version of the 32-bit Linux Kernel see 4 GB of memory if
> it was installed where Vista 32-bits only sees about 3GB?  For that
> matter would the non-PAE version see the full 4 GB?

Depending on the laptop that may or may not buy you 4GB capability, there are
BIOS and hardware issues which I'm not about to try and remember, much less
explain. If you hardware and BIOS support 4GB, yes you will use it with PAE.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>