Can I check on remote gpk-update-viewer??

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Fri Jul 3 16:21:40 UTC 2009

	I'm the nearest thing there is to tech support for my wife's
machine (which, like mine, runs F11) -- downstairs.

	By running ssh -X instead of plain ssh to it, I can launch gpk-
update-viewer on it -- and, if it wants to update something I meant to
uninstall, uncheck that before I tell it to do the update.

	Today, for some reason, when I start, it sits there far longer
than it ever does on any other machine, or has in the past on hers --
without reaching completion, and without indicating as usual what it is
doing.

	I can't tell whether it is hung up, or just dead slow for some
reason. ps ax shows it, but doesn't tell me much. As root, I see this :

[root at Msgv2 ~]# gnome-system-monitor &
[1] 5043
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
[root at Msgv2 ~]# X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.

(gnome-system-monitor:5043): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
localhost:11.0 [notice no return to prompt]

	but, if I hit ^C, the returning prompt shows me still logged into
her machine.

	As user (with my userid, not hers), I see :

-bash-4.0$ gnome-system-monitor &
[1] 5082

(gnome-system-monitor:5082): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
localhost:13.0
-bash-4.0$  [userid gets the prompt back]

	But, again, I remain logged onto her machine.

	The practical solution is of course obvious -- get clear off ssh
to that machine, go down there, and run the update in the flesh. I
probably will.

	But I do this more or less every day. Over time, if I get it
right, it will save both considerable time, and also a lot of superfluous
wear and tear on my arthritic knees.

	Is there a way? Or am I trying to do something (inside my own
house, and only over the LAN) that Fedora absolutely blocks because of
the use a cracker could make of it over the Net??