kernel 2.6.30.1

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jul 3 17:30:50 UTC 2009

Antonio Olivares wrote:

> [...]
I think that sums it up, with any new release there will be a surge of issues,
most minor, as new users migrate. Better to fix most of these before adding the
features of a new kernel to the mix.

> I don't know the exact reasons, but I understand where you are coming from
> and I agree with you. Is Fedora countering the saying "Latest and Greatest"? I
 > knowthat on rawhide a 2.6.31.rcX kernel is being run, that is where the latest
 > and greatest always is, but Fedora Stable should not be so far behind? Should
 > it?

Remember that "latest" and "greatest" are not synonyms, there were many changes
in 2.6.30, and a little time for shakeout is a good thing. People are just
getting used to ext4, adding a number of new filesystem types is likely to cause
more questions, and probably will mean updates of the utilities for the
filesystems as well.

I think Fedora is moving at the right speed on this one, you can build your own,
or pull from testing, or rawhide, or koji, depending on your tolerance for
learning experiences.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>