Display all washed out

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Fri Jul 3 19:05:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 13:46:37 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
	[....]
> You can easily find out.  Connect the "problem machine" directly to the
> monitor -- remove the KVM switch from the circuit.
>
> See if the problem goes away.
>
> If the problem goes away, the KVM switch is the problem.
>
> If the problem doesn't go away, the KVM switch isn't the problem.

	Doing that right now, and posting from that machine. The problem
is not even mitigated.

	What's more, I ran system-config-display again, logged out, and
logged back in. No change. It came up saying generic LCD, set to
1280x1024, but only actually offering 1024x768 -- on a monitor that's
really 1680x1050. I changed that to HP w2207, but it made no difference.

	Detail, which I meant to mention before, in case it tells anyone
anything. Sometimes (I can't tell how to characterize the times), every
movement of the cursor leaves a trail of tiny dots behind it. When it
does, they persist even if I open a new app. They're barely perceptible,
except in case they're right over a word or line of text (which is
already way undersized as well as pale & faint); then they make that line
or word all but illegible.

	Section "Monitor" of xorg.conf contains the settings :

ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x1024"
        HorizSync    31.5 - 64.0
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 65.0
        Option      "dpms"
[....]
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "radeon"
[....]
Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
                Modes    "1280x1024" "800x600"
        EndSubSection

	Two other details : this is the oldest machine in the house,
bought used from a guy who was eager to get in on the then- emerging 64-
bit systems, whenever that was. lshw-gui says it's an ASUS A7V8X, with an
AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2200+ cpu motherboard

	I discovered when my previous lcd flat panel died suddenly and I
had to buy this one that both the problem machine and the next oldest
were physically incapable of handling 1680x1050; but, fortunately, HP's
engineers had foreseen that, and the w2207h has software of its own that
will stretch out 1280x1024 to an acceptable display -- if only I can get
back to that. (It was doing so till I forgot that while upgrading --
thanks to a lot of help here, particularly from Frank Cox iirc.)

	I hope one of those details may tell one of you something.