FC10 character input dropping bytes

I keep getting messages like the following in my system messages log:

Jul 5 06:37:13 localhost kernel: psmouse.c: Wheel Mouse at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization, throwing 1 bytes away.

In addition, the mouse and the keyboard frequently stop responding. Sometimes the mouse does not move at all, and sometimes characters I input from the keyboard just get lost in the mix. This is not due to a slow system, as I am using a Pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM, which is well more than enough to run FC10. In addition, this problem only seemed to pop up in the last few days. Does anybody have any idea as to what might be going on?

Thanks,
William