Re: any thoughts on why cooling fan keeps spinning up and down?

I think there is probably a physical cause. It gets too easy to blame the operating system for physical device issues. The fan speed is controlled in part by temperature sensors on the CPU and feedback from the fan circuit itself. I think all the fan speed controls are managed by motherboard parts, not by the operating system interacting with those parts.

Bob