any ETA on improved ATI drivers?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jul 6 00:08:01 UTC 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jul 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 04 July 2009, Frank Cox wrote:

>>> I am running F11 with a Radeon X1950 Pro card and haven't had any problems
>>> at all with the comes-with-Fedora video driver.  I didn't have to
>>> do a thing to get it working with my wide-screen monitor when I
>>> installed F11 on this computer, and I haven't had to do anything
>>> with it since.
>>>
>> But your card is not an HD family card.  That would seem to be the
>> operative keyword.  It works ok for days at a time.  But when it
>> starts that, I may as well just do a graceful reboot & be done with
>> it.
>
>   there are currently two issues with radeon drivers that i've been
> involved with, either reporting in BZ or suffering from.
>
>   the first -- which i'm willing now to admit isn't a video driver
> issue after all -- is the screen on my laptop just going dark
> arbitrarily, even while i'm in the middle of work, so it's not a
> screensaver issue.  as someone else suggested, it's more likely a
> power management issue.

Seems as if this, or some of this, isn't new... I've had problems with my cursor
when running KVM as it loses focus in the KVM window although the keyboard is
still in the VM. Disabling the screen saver in the host finally stopped this,
and that's baan an issue since FC6.

It may only happen when running KVM from the cli, other than testing
virt-manager once I haven't used it, as it makes it less convenient to do the
things I have been doing in cli.

>   the other issue -- which is still happening -- is that when i'm
> working in the gnome desktop, trying to do something *suddenly* (a
> quick window resize, or drag and drop) will cause the cursor to change
> to the 4-way arrow, then give extremely slow response to moving, at
> which point the rest of the session is frozen.  the cursor can still
> be moved very slowly, but nothing else is available.  a reboot seems
> to be required.

I don't think I've seen that other than with a touchpad. I've not seen it with a
real mouse.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>