preupgrade 10 -> 11 pain: network error

brian brian at zijn-digital.com
Mon Jul 6 00:45:24 UTC 2009

stan wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 15:55:22 -0400
> brian <brian at zijn-digital.com> wrote:
>
>> I've run preupgrade to download packages, etc. At some point, there
>> was a msg stating that there was no room for a boot image (i
>> believe--it was /boot/something) but that it would be fine if I have
>> a wired network connection. I do, so I continued.
>>
>> However, upon rebooting, I'm seeing "Waiting for NetworkManager to
>> configure eth0 ..." followed by, "There was an error configuring your
>> network interface."
>>
>> The box is, indeed, using a *working* wired ethernet connection (I
>> downloaded the packages, after all). I am not using DHCP. The box is
>> on an internal LAN with a floppyFW router.
>>

> Do you have command prompt access at that point?
> If you do, try running ifconfig, to see what is going on.
> Check /var/log/messages.  Network Manager probably has an error log,
> but I'm not familiar with it.
>
> If you have a static IP address (that's how I interpret 'I'm not using
> DHCP'), then you should just need to, as root, do   ifup eth0   .
>
> I think NM is getting confused by the static address.

Thanks for the response. I had to go out for a bit and, after booting, I
got back into F10 without any problem. I'd assumed (yeah, I know) that
it would attempt to continue the install process again.

I see nothing at all in /var/log/messages between when I rebooted at
preupgrade's prompt and this latest boot. I guess nothing is logged when
booting into anaconda. Does that make sense?

There are anaconda.[log,syslog,xlog] but those are from Jan. 2008 :-(

As for getting a command line, this I did try when faced with the
installer erro. I should have been more clear about that: how can I get
a terminal from that point?

>> 3) how to then retry the upgrade process?
>>
> Do the preupgrade command again.  All the packages will already have
> been downloaded, so it will be faster, though still not quick.  But if
> your network card is the issue, it will fail the same way until you can
> get around the NM error in finding your card.  Check at bugzilla if
> this issue has been reported, and if there is a workaround there.
>
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/

I figured that as the packages are already here. So, if I can resize the
/boot partition, preupgrade should then grab what it needs and I can
avoid the network problem, maybe? As I see it, I either find a way to
get a terminal from within anaconda after the reboot, or I somehow
resize /boot. This latter I've been trying to sort out with my good
friend google. If anyone cares to chip in, my disk details are below.

[popper at apollo ~]$ fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 81.9 GB, 81964302336 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9964 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00086507

/dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/sda2              14        9964    79931407+  8e  Linux LVM

Disk /dev/sdb: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/sdb1               1        9729    78148161   83  Linux

[popper at apollo ~]$ df -h
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                        19G  4.9G   14G  28% /
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02
                        24G   14G  9.4G  59% /home
/dev/sda1              99M   49M   46M  52% /boot
tmpfs                 743M  636K  743M   1% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol05
                       4.8G  520M  4.0G  12% /usr/local
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol04
                        13G  6.8G  5.2G  57% /var
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol03
                       6.8G   19M  6.5G   1% /tmp
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol06
                       3.8G  218M  3.4G   6% /opt
/dev/sdb1              74G   13G   58G  18% /mnt/backup