TRY AGAIN, error running Maple 7 on Fedora 10

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 6 01:04:40 UTC 2009

OK, I wasn't able to get enough attention or help the first time I
posted about this error, so I am trying again.

I installed Maple 7 on my laptop running Fedora 10. Maple 7 is somewhat
old now (original release in 2001), and it takes some tweaking with
Fedora 10 to work, but it should work. However, it is not.

The script that is used to open Maple in X-mode is found below, called
"xmaple." The line "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1" is a tweak that I
have had to add since Red Hat Linux 9 to get Maple 7 to work. The only
other tweak that I have done is to install
compat-libgcc-296-2.96-135.i386 and compat-libstdc++-296-2.96-135.i386
from Fedora Core 5.

#####################################
#!/bin/sh

# Copyright (c) 1993-2001 by Waterloo Maple Inc.
# All rights reserved. Unauthorized duplication prohibited.
# Permission is granted to modify this file to be appropriate
# for use at the installation for which Maple was purchased.

# This script runs Maple 7 with a Motif interface.

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1

case $0 in
         */*)    exec `dirname $0`/maple -x $*
	;;
         *)      exec maple -x $*
	;;
esac
######################################

I get the following error message every time that I run the script:

[William at quarlewm2 ~]$ xmaple
dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
/usr/local/bin/xmaple: line 13: /maple: No such file or directory
/usr/local/bin/xmaple: line 13: exec: /maple: cannot execute: No such
file or directory

I'm mainly concerned with the fact that when dirname is called, I get a
shared library error. I'm also experiencing odd troubles with Wine, but
I don't know if it is a similar root cause or not.

HELP PLEASE!

Thanks,
William