Problem with evolution after migrating to FC11

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 01:11:39 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-07-05 at 09:44 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-07-05 at 22:46 +0530, Shridhar Sahukar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was using evolution on FC10, and after I migrated to FC11, I am
> > seeing a problem as described below:
> >
> > I have created a bunch of sub folders under Inbox, which are organized
> > in some hierarchy, and I have defined filters to transfer each of the
> > mail into selected folder. On FC10, whenever a new mail appeared into
> > a sub folder, the folder would get highlighed indicating number of new
> > mails. However, this is not happening on FC11.
> >
> > On FC11, when ever a new mail appears into Inbox (not filtered into
> > subfolder), then Inbox folder gets highlighted, but same doesnt happen
> > with sub folders.
> >
> > I suspected it to be an issue with evolution version (2.26.2), I tried
> > using an older version (2.24.5), but still facing same problem. So
> > wondering if it is anything to do with FC11.
> >
> > Highly appreciate any  help in this regard.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Shridhar
> Just a suggestion. I create the folders for receiving filtered mail
> under On This Computer not under Inbox. Inbox is left for mail that is
> not filtered by a rule. That works as you want it to where filtered mail
> appears in the appropriate box.
>
> I am not sure why you want them to be a hierarchy under Inbox. Could you
> explain?

Some IMAP servers hang the folder structure below Inbox, rather than
parallel to it. This is a server configuration decision and isn't under
the user's control.

Of course the OP hasn't said if he's using an IMAP server or local mail,
so I've no idea if this is pertinent here. In any case, it shouldn't *in
itself* cause the reported behaviour.

One thing to verify: Evo only checks for new mail in folders other than
Inbox if you specifically configure it to do so. The easiest way is to
right-click on the folder, select Properties, and check the box marked
"Always check for new mail in this folder".

poc