TRY AGAIN, error running Maple 7 on Fedora 10

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 13:35:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 01:56 -0400, William M. Quarles wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-07-05 at 22:20 -0400, William M. Quarles wrote:
> >> I don't see what
> >> the point is of making Linux (i.e. specifically the kernel)
> >> reverse-compatible if the GNU distributors (e.g. The Fedora Project)
> >> don't allow GNU to be so.
> >
> > AFAIK Linus refuses to guarantee binary backwards compatibility for the
> > kernel, to allow him to change APIs when he feels it necessary.
>
> That's not what the Fedora developers told me in the past messages about
> reverse compatibility in the kernel on this list,

I don't know what they told you (reference?) but be that as it may, you
made a point about the Linux kernel, to which I was responding. "The
Linux kernel" and "the Fedora distro" are two different things.

> but even if that were
> the case, I've been able to get Maple 7 to work on older versions of
> Fedora using 2.6 kernels.

Presumably older versions of Fedora using older versions of libraries.
The issue here is not whether Maple is compatible with Fedora, it's
whether Maple is compatible with the current versions of the libraries.

The way most packages do this is by recompiling. If you can't recompile
Maple, and the Maple providers won't update (or want to charge you money
for doing so), and there aren't compatibility libraries for your case,
then you're stuck. That's what happens with non-free software.

I myself use a non-free app, the Across Lite crossword puzzle system,
and with every new version of Fedora I have to reinstall a compatibility
library to make it work. So far I've been lucky, but I've no guarantee
of how long my luck will last.

# repoquery compat-libstdc++\*
compat-libstdc++-33-0:3.2.3-66.i586
compat-libstdc++-33-0:3.2.3-66.x86_64
compat-libstdc++-296-0:2.96-142.i586

Try installing one or more of those (yum install ...) and see what
happens.

poc