Re: How do you know when a reboot is required after yum update?

Konstantin Svist wrote:
> Well, actually... http://www.ksplice.com/
> They make special patches for kernel which can be applied to a running
> kernel.
> Not sure this one is open source, but there probably will be one soon :)

Well, it is and it's even packaged in Fedora, but they don't produce patches
for Fedora kernels and it's nontrivial to create them (they have some
automated tools which work on the source code patches, but you need to feed
them the patches by hand as the Fedora updates don't contain them in an
appropriate format and those tools don't handle data structure changes,
which makes them unusable for Fedora's kernel updates; I've been told that
they now have infrastructure to handle data structure changes, but it
requires writing patch scripts by hand and they aren't providing that
service for Fedora).

        Kevin Kofler