Re: How to share a desktop? (for tutoring)

On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 11:56 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > I have a need to share a minimal desktop, VNC is out of the question
> > as it's extremely heavy. But I haven't been able to find anything on
> > desktop sharing with FreeNX, and there doesn't seem to be any RDP
> > servers for Linux. Anyone have any suggestions?
> >
> I believe the RDP server is already installed. At least it is on my
> F10 system. To activate it, in Gnome, you go to System -->
> Preferences --> Internet and Network --> Remote Desktop.

That's the integrated vino vnc server isn't it?

There is an open source RDP server for X:

http://xrdp.sourceforge.net/

Some info from folk who've used it here:

http://www.css-networks.com/tag/x11rdp
http://www.whenpenguinsattack.com/2006/04/19/rdp-server-for-linux/

Afaik this isn't packaged in Fedora.

> There are also RDP clients for Linux. I believe there is a Wiki page
> on this - at least I remember reading about it somewhere.

The rdesktop package has been included in Fedora for a while.

Regards,
Bryn.