Help with d????????? ? ? ? ? ? .gvfs

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jul 6 21:30:02 UTC 2009

On Monday 06 July 2009, David wrote:
>On 7/6/2009 11:27 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Monday 06 July 2009, William M. Quarles wrote:
>>> I have a directory in my home directory named .gvfs with the following
>>> properties when I do an ls -Al:
>>>
>>> d?????????  ? ?       ?            ?                ? .gvfs
>>>
>>> I can't access it, delete it, nor rename it; nor can root do any of
>>> those things. I keep getting error messages in the terminal saying as
>>> such, too. Does anybody know how I can fix this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> William
>>
>> I'll follow this thread too, as I have it, and its driving amanda to
>> squawk about it.  And root cannot do anything to it either.
>
>The way that you wrote this Gene I would think that your "driving amanda
>to squawk" problem is an amanda problem not a .gvfs problem. Amanda is
>an 'addon' backup application, correct? And .gvfs is part of the Fedora
>operating file system. This .gvfs *belongs* there and is needed.
>
>--
>

>  David

By what, David?  I'm running kde here.  I just made that script from a
tree if any has now been deleted.  We will wait and see what squawks.

As far as the comment about an addon, non-approved app like amanda is
concerned, I have been running amanda since back in the day when redhat
actually supplied bru as its backup app.  Amanda beat it then, and still beats
anything in the fedora repos 11 years later.  Quality code generally stands
the test of time, particularly when it has been in active development for all
of those years, even before linux itself I believe as its an even older unix
app.  I'm running the snapshot taken on 06/22/2009 right now.  Where is bru
today?  I have no idea.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

You know you are getting old when you think you should drive the speed limit.
		-- E.A. Gilliam