Problem with uw-imap-static (Fedora 9) on x86_64 can anybody help?

I am building a version of Asterisk for use on Fedora 9 derived systems. The environment is patched up to the latest updates. The Asterisk Voicemail does not work unless linked against the static library for c-client. This worked fine on the i386 platform but is failing with the following message on the x86_64 platform.

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/c-client.a(osdep.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

Can anybody point me to what I need to change (presumably in the uw-imap build) to get this to work?

Regards, Howard