TRY AGAIN, error running Maple 7 on Fedora 10

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 7 09:34:20 UTC 2009

stan wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 21:04:40 -0400
> "William M. Quarles" <walrus at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>> #####################################
>> #!/bin/sh
>>
>> # Copyright (c) 1993-2001 by Waterloo Maple Inc.
>> # All rights reserved. Unauthorized duplication prohibited.
>> # Permission is granted to modify this file to be appropriate
>> # for use at the installation for which Maple was purchased.
>>
>> # This script runs Maple 7 with a Motif interface.
>>
>> export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
>>
>> case $0 in
>>          */*)    exec `dirname $0`/maple -x $*
>> 	;;
>>          *)      exec maple -x $*
>> 	;;
>> esac
>> ######################################
>>

> Could you change the script to something like this?  Is it necessary to
> run dirname under the old kernel version?  Seems the output should be
> the same over versions of the library.
>
>  DIR_NAME = `dirname $0`
>
>  export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
>
>  case $0 in
>           */*)    exec $DIR_NAME/maple -x $*
>  	;;
>           *)      exec maple -x $*
>  	;;
>  esac
>
> In fact, I'm not sure why you have the case statement, since dirname
> returns a . if there is no directory path.
>
> Should just be able to do
>
>  DIR_NAME=`dirname $0`
>
>  export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
>
>  exec $DIR_NAME/maple -x $*
>
> Is this way off the wall?  Seems like it should work.

Thank you for the suggestion. Actually, that is a good idea, instead I
took it a step further by moving the "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1" to
where the actual binary is called to be executed in the script named
"maple." So the bottom of the "maple" script looks like this:

#############

if [ "$XMAPLE" ]
then
     export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
     exec ${MAPLE}/$MAPLE_SYS_BIN/maplew $IPARAM $DISPLAYARG $PARAM
else
     if [ "$IPARAM" ]
     then
	echo "$0: invalid parameters: $IPARAM"
     else
	export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
	exec ${MAPLE}/$MAPLE_SYS_BIN/cmaple $INCLUDES $PARAM
     fi
fi

############

Doing that, I get this error message:

/usr/local/maple_su/bin.IBM_INTEL_LINUX/maplew: error while loading
shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory

OK, does anyone else think it's bizarre that just because the FC10 glibc
lacks LinuxThreads, that I'm getting a missing library file error when
that library is actually installed on my system? Anyway, I guess that's
why everyone on here is still saying to avoid closed-source software...
anyone know of any open-source computer algebra software?

Peace,
William