Re: What is openssl.cnf for?

Timothy Murphy-5 wrote:

> I'm trying to work out if /etc/pki/tls/openssl.cnf
> is actually used, and if so how one should edit it.
> The file provided with Fedora says it is an "example",
> and says, inter alia,
> dir = ../../CA # Where everything is kept
> although in my case at least this directory is empty.
>
> I glanced through openssl documentation,
> but did not see any mention of this particular file.
>
> Perhaps there is some document that would explain to me
> the purpose of this file?

Presumably this works in a similar way to the dovecot equivalent at
/etc/pki/dovecot/dovecot-openssl.cnf

In the dovecot case there is a nice certificate generator secretly buried at
/usr/libexec/dovecot/mkcert.sh that will execute the generation of dovecot
certs based on the content of the  dovecot-openssl.cnf file.

I don't know if there is an equivalent for the tls directory that you quote
but no doubt someone who has used this in earnest will chip in here and say
how it is used!