Re: any known working USB/serial converters?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Tuesday 07 July 2009, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
 a while back, i was whining about the lack of functionality of a
particular USB/serial converter:

http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-test-list/2009-05/msg00398.html

 does anyone have such a converter that just plain works out of the
box?  i'm more than happy to buy and try another brand if it's the
prolific product that's causing the trouble.

prolific adapters are well known trouble.  FTDI seem to be pretty
transparent. I have several that Just Work(TM).

  that's what i vaguely recall hearing once upon a time, so it's nice
to have at least a bit of confirmation that i should hie me hence to
the geek store and pick up another brand to test. thanks.

I also use an FTDI unit which hasn't failed me.  Uses the ftdi_sio
module and is identified as a FTCEGM4N in dmesg (USB ID 0403:6001).
- A friend said he climbed to the top of Mount Rainier.  My view is  -
-    that if there's no elevator, it must not be that interesting.   -