Dell Perc 4/DC and PowerVault 220S - firmware upgrade under Fedora

Howard Wilkinson howard at cohtech.com
Tue Jul 7 18:17:17 UTC 2009

I have 4 Powervault 220s devices which need the firmware on the embedded
controller cards upgraded. I have download the dell Linux utilities and
tried to do the upgrade. However, this is failing - seemingly because I
have mirrored drives for the root filing systems (software mirror using
md) which get broken by the scan that the upgrade utility attempts. I
have tried to get round this by building a ramdisk with the required
utilities on it but the firmware upgrade still fails.

The systems are currently Fedora 9 based. Has anybody managed to do this
sort of upgrade using these utilities and if so HOW?

Regards, Howard.