Dell Perc 4/DC and PowerVault 220S - firmware upgrade under Fedora

I have 4 Powervault 220s devices which need the firmware on the embedded controller cards upgraded. I have download the dell Linux utilities and tried to do the upgrade. However, this is failing - seemingly because I have mirrored drives for the root filing systems (software mirror using md) which get broken by the scan that the upgrade utility attempts. I have tried to get round this by building a ramdisk with the required utilities on it but the firmware upgrade still fails.

The systems are currently Fedora 9 based. Has anybody managed to do this sort of upgrade using these utilities and if so HOW?

Regards, Howard.