any known working USB/serial converters? [drifting off...]

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Jul 7 19:53:02 UTC 2009

fred smith wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 11:00:26AM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>>>  that's what i vaguely recall hearing once upon a time, so it's nice
>>> to have at least a bit of confirmation that i should hie me hence to
>>> the geek store and pick up another brand to test. thanks.
>> I also use an FTDI unit which hasn't failed me.  Uses the ftdi_sio
>> module and is identified as a FTCEGM4N in dmesg (USB ID 0403:6001).
>
> Do these things work "both ways?" i.e., I assume they would work if one
> plugged the USB end into one's computer and got serial out the other end.
> But how about plugging the usb end into, e.g., a UPS and taking the serial
> end back to the linux box?

It should work, provided the UPS knew how to talk to the USB side of the
device (e.g. had a driver for it, etc.).  There's nothing special about
a computer's USB port as opposed to some other device with a USB port.

> someone earlier mentioned a tripplite UPS which got me to thinking of
> that situation: tripplite no longer offers USB-compatible software for
> Linux--their linux versions are still serial only. makes one wonder if
> one of these things would bridge the gap.

If you were to do a UPS->USB->SERIAL<->SERIAL->USB->computer thing,
you'd need a female-female null-modem adapter between the serial ports,
of course.
- Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3--not even for large values of 2. -