VirtualBox problems

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Jul 7 20:29:06 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> The device appears but is grayed out and not selectable. On removing the
> device, it no longer appears. I also see my external USB hard drive,
> which has no associated filter and is of course (correctly) also grayed
> out and not selectable.
>
> I'm leaning towards some mysterious permissions problem as being at the
> root of this, but the help docs for VBox are not very helpful.
>
> poc

Yes, this is a permission problem. The filter does not change the
permission of the device, so if it can not be accessed by your user,
or by the vboxusers group, it will show as grayed out. As a quick
and dirty test, change the ownership and permission of the
/proc/bus/usb/<bus>/<device> to match your user and vboxusers group.

chown poc:vboxusers /proc/bus/usb/003/032
chmod 664 /proc/bus/usb/003/032

Mikkel