Re: SV: SV: older releases

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
The long term solution is to install a recent Fedora and run FC4 in a
virtual machine.
CentOS 4 would be a better choice (still gets security updates and is in
the version range the OP mentioned (it's based on FC3 with some FC4
stuff)).

That's true for a dedicated machine, an a good suggestion.

However, on a general use machine I want the newer stuff. ;-) I was more
thinking the "best of both worlds" with a VM.

There's nothing which would prevent using CentOS 4 in the VM. There's no requirement that a VM on a Fedora host contains a Fedora guest. (And CentOS is closely related anyway.) I don't see why you'd use FC4 in the VM rather than CentOS 4 unless you really need those packages which are newer in FC4 or FC4 updates than in the current CentOS 4 updates (and repos like kde-
redhat don't provide the updates you need).

The original poster specified Fedora, I took him at his word.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>