Problem with uw-imap-static (Fedora 9) on x86_64 can anybody help?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Wed Jul 8 00:06:11 UTC 2009

Howard Wilkinson wrote:

> I am building a version of Asterisk for use on Fedora 9 derived systems.
> The environment is patched up to the latest updates. The Asterisk
> Voicemail does not work unless linked against the static library for
> c-client. This worked fine on the i386 platform but is failing with the
> following message on the x86_64 platform.
>
> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/c-client.a(osdep.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
> against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object;
> recompile with -fPIC
>

> Can anybody point me to what I need to change (presumably in the uw-imap
> build) to get this to work?

It needs (re)building with -fPIC compiler flag.  I can help fix that, but
F-9 has reached EOL, and no further updates are allowed.

Why doesn't asterisk work with the shlibs provided by uw-imap-devel?  That's
how fedora's stock asterisk packages are built (begs the question, why
aren't you using fedora's asterisk?)

-- Rex