New to Fedora, Network Issues.

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Jul 8 03:32:15 UTC 2009

Mike Adolf wrote:
> The windows firewall is off. I depend on the router's firewall. I have
> made some progress - I think. On the linux side the network window shows
> icons for all machines on the LAN. Also it show an icon for "Window
> network". If I open the window network I see all machines in my windows
> work group. If I open a machine icon I get a logon dialog but I have no
> accounts on those machines so I don't expect to connect.  I still can
> ping. I to now say "unreachable from my IP". And the linux disked I
> shared via samba still does not show up on the windows side. I expected
> it to show up under "windows network". I turned ip6tables and iptables
> back on.

Hang in Mike! You really have a network problem rather than something particular
to Fedora. I would think that the firewall should be enabled and use the
configuration to allow SMB and NMB (samba and netbios) access.

If all else fails we will teach you to use tcpdump and wireshark, a most
valuable method of understanding any network issue regardless of origin. And
about $1000 cheaper than a sniffer hardware of equal capability.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>