Re: Problem with uw-imap-static (Fedora 9) on x86_64 can anybody help?

Rex,

thanks for this!

Rex Dieter wrote:
Rex Dieter wrote:

Howard Wilkinson wrote:

I am building a version of Asterisk for use on Fedora 9 derived systems.
The environment is patched up to the latest updates. The Asterisk
Voicemail does not work unless linked against the static library for
c-client. This worked fine on the i386 platform but is failing with the
following message on the x86_64 platform.

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/c-client.a(osdep.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC

Can anybody point me to what I need to change (presumably in the uw-imap
build) to get this to work?

It needs (re)building with -fPIC compiler flag.  I can help fix that, but
F-9 has reached EOL, and no further updates are allowed.

I should have said, I have backported the F11 package to F9 and still get the problem!
In the meantime, try this build:

Looked at this and not sure what to do! Have downloaded the binary packages from the x86_64 subtask and will try them, but I would normally rebuild here first and use the resulting packages.
-- Rex

To answer the question in your other response! Asterisk loads the voicemail modules dynamically, with the imap version this fails as the c-client library tries to bind back into entry points provided by the voicemail module and the dynamic loader barfs - I suspect that symbols are getting stripped to early somewhere but cannot pin it down. The advice from the uw-imap mailing lists is "link with the static library" so thats what I have done. The reasons I do not use the Fedora release version of asterisk are: I am making changes to the voicemail code and need to rebuild; I am still using the 1.4.x series of asterisk server and have ported that latest release onto the Fedora build; I tend to rebuild most things here as we have made some mods to core libraries for various bug fixes. (nss_ldap being one in particular)

Will let you know how I get one.

Howard.