Switching graphics drivers without xorg.conf

Hi,

I have a Radeon HD4870 graphics card. I think since installation F11 has been using the radeon driver by default. I would like to have some 3D support for some games like nexuiz or openarena and want to switch to radeonhd. How do I do that without writing a new xorg.conf? (I don't have one right now)

Also on a side note, where do I configure the other options xorg.conf used to set? (things like USB polling rates for the pointing device, assigning keys to extra mouse buttons ...)

Thanks for any pointers.

--
Suvayu