Re: Problem with uw-imap-static (Fedora 9) on x86_64 can anybody help?

Howard Wilkinson wrote:
> To answer the question in your other response! Asterisk loads the
> voicemail modules dynamically, with the imap version this fails as the
> c-client library tries to bind back into entry points provided by the
> voicemail module and the dynamic loader barfs - I suspect that symbols
> are getting stripped to early somewhere but cannot pin it down. The
> advice from the uw-imap mailing lists is "link with the static library"

But that's a broken suggestion because the static library is (intentionally)
non-PIC and so cannot be used in a shared library. You can't link static
libraries into shared libraries unless they are PIC, which static libraries
normally aren't.

        Kevin Kofler