Upgrade from FC6 to FC11

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 23:00:19 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Bill Davidsen<davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> - /etc/inittab has been replace with a complex scheme
> - default simple functional networking has been replaced with NetMangler
> - simple functional sound has been replaced with PulseAudio and you can use
> up
>  to five volume control and mixers to make sound not work right

You made my day with the above comments. LOL
Really.... what the **** happened to that old "KISS"principle? You
know, Keep It Simple, St*pid?

I don't really know what was wrong with OSS to begin with.. At least
Sun Microsystems has the right attitude. Look at OpenOffice and
Virtualbox for instance. They say "hey, this technology is cool, it
should be free" they buy the company and open source the code.

Back to sound, Alsa brought a set of new problems and then Pulseaudio
was the icing on the cake. What kind of flu virus infects programmers
these days that instead of fixing existing architectures they decide
to re-invent the wheel?

It's not actually the programmers that worry me, but the managers
which give these projects their blessing and support. Silverlight on
Linux for instance is one technology which should be repudiated by
everyone in the FOSS camp. But I digress.

FC