Upgrade from FC6 to FC11

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jul 10 06:19:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 20:00 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> I don't really know what was wrong with OSS to begin with.

Two different things trying to use the same sound card at the same time.
Only one could, and the other failing to manage it could jam the sound
card so that nothing else could use it until you rebooted.

Been there, done it, thoroughly glad to see the back of it.

The idea behind pulseaudio is a good idea, but the implementation of it
is rather bad, particularly how Fedora is using it (per user, rather
than a server per system), and the conglomeration of different volume
controls, where one's dependent on another one being set up, first.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.