Fedora Updates

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 14:37:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 13:09 +0100, MM wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm currently running F11 and, before that, F10 and F9. Is it just my
> imagination, or have updates become less frequent in recent months. Not
> that I'm complaining or lacking in better things to do in my life -
> merely curious. Were updates not previously pushed every day or two (or
> maybe three), whereas nowadays the trend seems to be once a week (last
> one for F11 was 3rd July, with the 'Pending' list growing by the day).
>
> Has there been a shift in policy at Fedora HQ? Were more frequent
> updates deemed to be too irritating for most people? Is my mind
> deceiving me?

I did a quick check using /var/log/yum.log:

        $ awk '{
        month[$1]++}
        END { for (m in month) print m, month[m] } ' < /var/log/yum.log
        Jul 162
        Jun 410
        Mar 192
        Apr 530
        Jan 400
        May 1081
        Feb 493

(the months aren't in calendar order due to Awk's associative arrays).

This shows the number of packages updated on my system per month from
January 2009 to date. Of course it's noisy data. I run 'yum update' most
days but there may be gaps, and obviously the numbers depend on my own
setup. There do seem to have been a lot of updates in May, but that's
when I moved to F11pre using preupgrade. YMMV.

poc