Eee PC Boot Problem

rgheck rgheck at comcast.net
Fri Jul 10 16:38:12 UTC 2009

Steve Berg wrote:
>> I've solved this problem, but thought I'd report it anyway.
>>
>> I twice installed F11 on my Eee 1000 and both times I was unable to boot
>> afterwards. All I'd get was the grub command line. The issue seems to be
>> that the presence of the USB key is confusing the grub installer, and
>> it's setting up grub with the wrong (hdX) stuff. I was able to fix this
>> by re-installing grub, but obviously that is not for the meek.
>>

> I saw the same thing on my 901, during the install process there's one
> screen where you can select which drive to boot from.  It seems to think
> it should be booting from /dev/sdc which was my USB stick.  Changing that
> option to /dev/sda and everything worked fine without having to futz
> around with grub.

I did that, too, but then noticed that the list of bios mappings read as
follows:
    /dev/sdc      (hd0)
    /dev/sda      (hd1)
    /dev/sdb      (hd2)
I figured that must be wrong, but didn't do anything at the time. That,
ultimately, is what caused the boot failure.

A normal user wouldn't even know about bios mappings, let alone what to
do there.

rh