Upgrade from FC6 to FC11

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 10 18:47:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 19:25 +0200, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> >
> > The reason is that RHEL 5 is based on Fedora 6, so the upgrade should
> > work out smoothly.
>
> This also means I'm almost not really upgrading anything.
> FC5->CentOS5 is similar to FC5->F6
> (ok, with some backports, I know)

Exactly, such as firefox, openoffice and so on.

(clip)

Also, remember that Fedora EPEL has quite a lot of packages nowadays for
RHEL(ish) distros, so you won't trade off in package availability as
much as you think.

> The machines are actually not mine and they are used in production.
> This is why I'm didn't upgrade in the past (except FC4->FC5).
> They work perfectly and the only thing which is pushing me
> is the lack of SMART support, which I find unforgivable for a file
> server (yes, yes, it is all properly backupped :-) ).

CentOS 5.3 has smartmontools capable of monitoring SATA drives.

A file server really doesn't need other things than a stable OS (and a
fast file system).
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor