Fedora 11: Switching to single user mode (runlevel 1)

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Fri Jul 10 23:29:29 UTC 2009

> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 17:10:57 +0000,
> >   g <geleem at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >> if you want runlevel 1, you need to boot to runlevel 1 from start.
> >
> > You can use the telinit command to switch run levels. Doing this from
> > an X session is going to drop your session, so you want to be OK with
> > that before doing it.
>
> op stated;
>
> >> My problem is that if I run "/sbin/telinit 1" from a terminal while in
> >> runlevel 5, the normal messages appear and everything LOOKS fine, but then
> >> I am dumped to a plain black screen with no apparent way of escape.  I
> >> actually have to reboot to get out of it...
>
> to me, 'plain black screen' indicates nothing, nada, no command prompt.

That is exactly what I meant.

> if op had stated that he had a command line, i would have told him to issue
> 'init 5' to return to 'x'.

Which is exactly what I have always done as long as I have been switching from
runlevel 5 to runlevel 1 by using the telinit command.

> as i stated, i boot level 3, i do not boot level 5, therefore i have never
> had need to change from level 5 down to level 1, so i am not aware of it
> being accessible that way. all tho i would think that it would be.

Definitely is accessible that way.  In fact, I have been doing it that way at
LEAST since Fedora 8.  Probably a lot longer than that.

Steven P. Ulrick