Logging on AT&T Yahoo Dial-Up with Linux

s skelly99 at swbell.net
Sat Jul 11 09:06:08 UTC 2009

Roy Quick wrote:
> July 9, 2009
>
> Anybody, please advise me how to log on AT&T Yahoo dial-up after
> installing Fedora.  Frustrated.  I have not be able to make connect
> after installing any Linux OS.  AT&T Yahoo techs, of course, respond
> that they do not support Linux.  If impossible to log on with AT&T
> Yahoo dial-up, please suggest another Internet Provider.  Tried a
> local Internet Provider recently.  Found it preventing updates.
> Dropped it.  Roy Quick <roy.quick at att.net>

You did not mention which program you are using to make the dial-up
connection. I always install both KDE and Gnome, then use KPPP for
dial-up. You will have to edit the /etc/sysconfig/network file to add
the line GATEWAYDEV=ppp0 (assuming ppp0 is your modem device). You may
need to change the ppp0 to whatever your modem device is.

Are you using a winmodem? You may need to do some extra configuration. I
don't know how well Fedora works with winmodems. I use an external
serial modem.