cups configuration

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 11 20:38:46 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 09:28 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> François Patte wrote:
> > Bonjour,
> >
> > I want to configure cups on laptops so that people could add any printer
> > they want, and choose the default printer they want too.
> >
> > I don't want to give them the root password.
> >
> > What is possible, using the web interface, is to allow anybody to remove
> > tasks, even if they are not the owner of the task.
> >
> > I want also that these permissions to add and choose the default
> > printer, will be be limited to the laptop only, I mean: if the laptop is
> > connected to a network, I don't want that these persmissions could be
> > automatically extended to any other cups server on the network.
> >
> > Is this possible? And how?
> >
> It is already possible for each user to select their own default
> printer. In Gnome, it is System --> Preferences --> Hardware -->
> Default Printer.
>
> As far as giving permission to add/remove/change printers, you can
> add the user to the system group. This will basically give full
> access. Or you can add them to /etc/cups/cups.conf in the "Require
> user" section of the desired access.--
It looks to me that more changes would be needed. At least I conclude
that from the folllowing section of the cupsd.conf file:
 # All administration operations require an administrator to
authenticate...
  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer
CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default
CUPS-Get-Devices>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
Wouldn't this be a great world if being insecure and desperate were a
turn-on? -- "Broadcast News"
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net