mailing list pgp signatures...

David brusefamelion at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 22:05:51 UTC 2009

On 7/11/2009 4:45 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 12:05 -0400, David wrote:
>> On 7/10/2009 11:34 PM, Steven W. Orr wrote:
>>> On 07/10/09 18:47, quoth Mikkel L. Ellertson:
>>> New entry in my access file
>>> From:geleem at bellsouth.net       REJECT 553 PGP signing with no public key.
>>
>> For some reason this has not made it to the list. I apologize if this
>> shows up twice.
>>

>> I was trying to advise him that he should do the correct thing. I failed
>> at that. His GunPG signature is a waste of time, his time and my time,
>> since it can not be verified that it is even his signature.
>>
>> I did not want to /null/void his posts. With his 'nasty' reply he has
>> given me no other choice. His posts will now be deleted directly from
>> the email server before downloading.
>>
>> Sad thing about that is that if, in the future, he should decide to use
>> GnuPG properly I'll never know.
>>
>> BTW. You did notice that I made no comment on his excessively long and
>> rambling 'signature'.  :-)
>>
> I am confused about the brouhaha over the signature that g sent. When I
> get his message in evolution there is just as single line saying he has
> signed his message. This bothers me not at all.
>
> I assume something more annoying happens with other mail programs.. What
> is it that happens that annoys people so much

My email client, Thunderbird, goes out and searches for his 'not made
public as it should be' public Key each and every post. Which takes,
depends on the various Keyservers, 20 +- seconds *each* Kerserver for
*each* post. Two in one thread? Does it twice. Three? Does it three
times. Etc...

I would think that the other email clients using GnuPG do the same. I
can set it *not* to do that here but that is not what I wish. And why
should I set my system so that one person can do things incorrectly?

But no longer. I asked him politely. But his attitude bought him the bit
bucket here.

Understand now?
--

  David