Getting more juice from a preamp?

I listen to sound on my system with headphones, so I only use the preamp.

This aft, I was watching this feature on the cause of Beethoven's death:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/emissions/decouverte/2008-2009/Reportage.asp?idDoc=83307

but the sound is a bit weak. You don't miss anything, but you feel you
have to be very attentive. Maybe they wanted to make you feel like you're
getting deaf yourself :)

I checked alsamixer, but volume control is maxed out. Is there any other
control somewhere else? Anything in alsactl or pulseaudio, for instance?

Thnaks!