F11 (Thpd T30) : reproducible display loss

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Sun Jul 12 18:28:47 UTC 2009

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 19:34:05 +0200, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
	[....]
> I'm supposing that the problem is in the graphics driver (X) of the
> graphics hardware you have in your T30.
>
> If you run the program via ssh, the hardware actually drawing things is
> the remote machine (not the T30), so it works.

	Aha! I did think of the possibility, of course after I posted --
esprit d'escalier <sigh> It's good to know it's a reasonable thought.
Thanks!

>> 	The same map program works fine on other F11 machines, under
>> Wine. Does that not show, as I think, that the problem is specific to
>> the T30 in some way??
>
> My guess is an issue with the specific hardware+driver on the T30. Maybe
> the driver used on the T30 has a bug.

	It seems the T30 was made with two LCDs, both the same size, but
one 1024x768 (which is what's in xorg.conf now), and the other 1400x1050;
I've asked on a Thinkpad list how to tell which I have. (I bought it
reconditioned from IBM.)

	If that's no answer, I'll try fiddling drivers. xorg.conf lists
"radeon" for the videocard (unidentified) and the option "dpms" in the
monitor section, but no driver listed there.

>> 	Can somebody translate it down to my level, suggest  how to test
>> it, and what to do about it?
>
> I don't see an easy solution for this. You should try to change things,
> hoping to move the waters enough to sidestep the problem.

	OK

> Is the T30 updated (last rpms of wine, X and everything else)?

	Yes. I've been running package kit, a/o yum clean all followed by
yum update, pretty much daily since the upgrade from F10 to F11.

> What
> driver is X using? (it prints a lot of stuff in /var/log/Xorg.0.log)
> Maybe switching to another driver can be useful, at least as a test.

	Hmmm.... I did cd /var/log and then cat Xorg.0.log|most.
Scrolling down till I hit the word "driver" I get a humongous list --
several screens' worth -- without an indication I can recognize to tell
me which. How do I ask it which it's using?

> Another idea: you can ssh into yourself, you know? Try that and see what
> happens.

	Hmmm...! No, I didn't know that. I did it, using ssh -X, and then
gave the CLI command to launch the map software. It gave me a few lines
that seemed quite similar to those I get on my #1 PC, if not the same --
and then suddenly went to the blank monitor.

	I then gave the same command [viz env WINEPREFIX="/home/
btth/.wine" wine "C:\Garmin\MapSource.exe"] from my #1 PC (where I
already had an ssh -X connection open). The command sat there in the
terminal for some time, then opened the map display -- with the swaths
along the right and bottom of its window. (Btw, I don't *think* I've seen
those swaths on the T30 itself, when it opens the display at all. But I
don't swear.)