simple LDAP for address book?

Every once and I while I take a look at trying to setup an
LDAP server on my system for keeping address book info (so
I can access it remotely as I already do with my dovecot IMAP
server).

Every time I start looking at it, I find way too much
information about enterprise class directory servers
and sql back ends and user authentication, etc.

Anyone know of a simple howto somewhere on the net for
setting up LDAP just to use for a personal address book?
(Preferably some server offered in fedora repos).

I have this feeling I could write my own custom LDAP
server in less time than I could understand the documentation
for the existing ones :-).